- About Us
- Health Info
- News Room
- Career Center
- Contact Us
Serving the Texas Panhandle for over 80 years, Collingsworth General is a Critical Access hospital located in Wellington, Texas, approximately 100 miles and 2 hours southeast of Amarillo, Texas, and 167 miles and 3 hours northeast of Lubbock, Texas. In 2017, the National Rural Health Association identified Collingsworth General one of the Top 20 Critical Access Hospitals in the U.S. for patient satisfaction.
The hospital is licensed for 13 inpatient acute care beds, all of which may be used as "swing beds" or skilled nursing beds. Further, it maintains a Level IV Trauma Center designation, providing emergency services for the residents of Collingsworth and surrounding counties 24-hours-a-day, 365-days-a-year. Through the hospital’s affiliation with Avera eCare, the services of local providers are complemented by those of board certified emergency room physicians and critical care nurses immediately available through telemedicine at the touch of a button.
In addition, area residents can obtain a wide range of outpatient services at the hospital minimizing the need to travel long distances for health care. These services include: physical therapy, general radiology, CT imaging, mobile MRI services, laboratory services and nutrition counseling. The hospital also operates Collingsworth Family Medicine, a nationally designated Rural Health Clinic.
Combined the hospital and clinic are staffed by almost 80 highly qualified clinical and support personnel who call the Wellington area home, and treat patients like family.
Partnership with Preferred Forged in 2004
Throughout its history, ownership of Collingsworth General has changed to reflect the needs and demands of the ever changing healthcare environment.
Established by an individual physician in the 1930’s, the complexity of hospital operations resulted in the transfer of ownership to the Community of Sisters in 1938. The Sisters operated the facility for the next 34 years, adding services and completing two hospital expansion projects.
With the support of the community, the Collingsworth County Hospital District (CCHD) assumed responsibility for the hospital in 1972, successfully guiding hospital operations for another 32 years. The community has always supported the need for a locally based hospital, and when the CCHD fell on hard times, the community stepped forward and raised $260,000 in less than two months to keep the hospital open.
In 2004, faced with significant turnover among administration and the medical staff, and declines in utilization and financial performance, the CCHD reached out to Preferred Management Corporation (Preferred) to help restore staffing and financial stability. The successful partnership between Preferred Hospital Leasing Inc., and the CCHD has created a strong, viable organization responsive to the changing healthcare landscape.
New Hospital and Clinic Buildings Reflect Community Commitment to Local Healthcare
The original structure housing Collingsworth General was a 2-story house. A new hospital was constructed by its founding physician – Dr. E.W. Jones – in 1935. The first set of triplets was born in Collingsworth County on November 6, 1941, and around 1945 the first X-ray machine was installed in the hospital.
Building expansions were completed in 1951 and 1963 by the Community of Sisters. This included several semi-private patient rooms, a nursery and a new surgery suite that gained the approval of the American College of Surgeons.
In 2008, recognizing the deficiencies of the 50-plus year old buildings, the CCHD secured approval of county voters for a $6.245 million bond issue to construct a 11,857 square foot addition to the hospital. The addition provided accessible inpatient facilities for acute care and skilled nursing patients and allowed for the provision of state-of-the-art emergency services. Funds were also used to construct a new Collingsworth Family Medicine clinic building.
Throughout the years in the different facilities that housed the hospital, one thing has remained constant for Collingsworth General Hospital: the medical providers and hospital staff dedicated to the delivery of high quality healthcare close to home.